This has been an enlightening few weeks. When I first started brainstorming for the ICM final, I was immediately drawn to APIs. While my wild idea of turning the New York Times API into a huge movie review archive that can provide me with A LOT of data did not quite work out (If someone does know a way to do it, please contact me), I know I wanted the exercise to have something to do with data. When that failed, I decided to generate my own data, and I started writing a sketch that is essentially a movie recommendation sketch.
The idea is simple enough: click on buttons depending on one's mood and it will give you a recommendation for a film.
I however, felt the limitations of building a GUI in Processing and my lack of commend over such limitations mean this project would not be able to reach the level that I wanted it to be. And I wasn't quite ready to give up on my API experimentation yet.
So. I decided to use the idea I had with moods, but instead of making a movie recommendation app, so to speak, I wanted to make it into an animation with 4 screens that will show tweets from the four hashtags.
I worked to try and get the twitter API up and running, and after a few failures (and a ban from Twitter) I got a sketch working, but it became clear that if I split it into four screens, there would be too much information and it would be too hard to control.
So, in the end, I settled for 2 search results, and instead of breaking it up, I decided to make a pop-up, slow fading effect, so you can catch a glimpse of the tweet search results.
I will write another blog in the near future about some challenges and feedback from the presentation.