Vicci Ho is a writer, film programmer and producer. She has written for Variety and worked for film festivals across the globe, including Toronto International Film Festival, Zurich Film Festival and directed the Hong Kong Lesbian & Gay Film Festival.  She is the President of Janitor Interactive: a production company specializing in games.

This is her personal page.

PComp Final Reflections

Karam has been documenting a lot on our project, and here is my take on what we came up with for our final presentation. A lot of the wizardry of this project belongs to its brain child Karam and I am happy to be a part of it and help him realize his vision. Here are some documentation on our journey into making it happen in the final week.

So we managed to get the buttons work with the micro arduino with three buttons, and it was time to transfer it to the boxes. We decided to try and use cooper tape as a way to connect the switches:

Trying to make the switch work a side of the box

Though, once we changed the configurations...things did not go as smoothly as we hoped. The buttons quickly stopped working and sounds would play regardless of whether we are doing something or not. We also realize our initial estimation of 2.1 inch cubes will not be big enough for us to fit all our components: battery, arduino, and everything to connect everything together. We have to work on building slightly larger boxes and figure out what we were doing wrong. We were worried part of the problem was the copper tape meant that we are getting too much interference and thus are affecting our switches, but eventually we figured out with the help of Benedetta that it was a wiring problem. So we eventually managed to get it to work with this set up:

How to make it work AND fit into a small box?

We then decided to paint the boxes. Ultimately we want it to be a toy and we want it to have a more vintage look, and a paint job is necessary. So Karam and I did some late night painting:

Painting the boxes.Putting the boxes together after painting....

After a week of work, most of it was working out unexpected errors, we made these prototypes:

Karam documenting our cubes.

And here they are:

Stacked cubes!

While not everything worked during our presentation (one cube decided to malfunction), we do manage to show how the prototype is supposed to work:

final project in action from Vicci Ho on Vimeo.

I am happy with the project and am surprised that it took so much longer than I anticipated to make it work. I think it was great to work with Karam on this: I had a great time working with him and we had a good partnership. I think one thing I have learned from this experience is...(and I feel this has been learned before) is we always have less time than we think, and I think for the next prototype I will definitely spend a lot more time in the planning stages coming up with ideas and trying to anticipate some potential problems early on. I think Karam and I will continue to work on this to improve on this idea, maybe build the buttons better, and definitely make more so we can do more with them.

Unconventional Drawing

ICM Final -- more reflections